On Saturday, March 8th the Grundy County Republicans will meet at our biennial County Convention. The 2014 County Convention will be held in the main auditorium at the Grundy Center High School, starting at 9AM. Delegates to the County Convention were selected during the Precinct Caucuses in January. All Delegates, Alternate Delegates, and Junior delegates should be receiving an invitation to the County Convention in the mail.
Among our orders of business, we will address these topics:
1. Elect 12 delegates and 12 alternate delegates to the District and State Convention.
2. Adopt a County Platform.
3. Elect individuals to the Standing District Committees (Credentials, Organization, Rules, Platform)
The District Convention will meet Saturday, April 26th in Storm Lake, IA. Also, the District Committees will meet on Saturday, March 15th at 10AM in Storm Lake, IA.
If you are interested in serving as a delegate to the District and State Convention (you do not have to be a delegate to the County Convention) please contact the County Chair: email@example.com
In particular, we need someone to volunteer to be in charge of our Credentials at the District Convention. We also would appreciate one volunteer to serve on the District Platform Committee. All delegates to the District and State Convention will be asked to pay dues to the Grundy County GOP in the amount of $40. We forward these dues on to the Iowa GOP.
The County Platform Committee met and agreed upon the following proposal for our 2014 County Platform. Amendments can be made, discussed, and voted upon at the County Convention according to our Rules. All delegates will receive this information in the mail as part of their Call to Convention.
PLATFORM OF THE REPUBLICANS
GRUNDY COUNTY, IOWA
We, the Republican Party of Grundy County, meeting in Convention on March 8th, 2014, share these common ideals and believe they provide the best framework for guiding this State and Nation into the future:
- Whereas the State of Iowa has a relatively large percentage of our nation’s Agriculture (or food production) and that Agriculture is a large part of Iowa’s economy:
- The EPA must recognize that dust is a part of Agricultural production is not something that farms can control. We instead support a government that helps keep food prices low by shrinking the role of the EPA in the lives of our farmers and ranchers.
- The Department of Labor must re-examine their goals and realize that children need to be trained and taught skills from the time that they are small. Youth from rural areas have traditionally earned money and skills in agricultural jobs. Their pay should be commensurate with those skills (i.e. minimum wage). The U.S.A. has traditionally kept food prices at a low percentage of a family’s budget. We support a government that embraces the economics of food production and the family farm.
- Our farmers, through private property ownership, are to be commended as the best conservationists in the United States. We support increasing private property rights, and we support more restrictions on the power of the government to use eminent domain and burdensome regulations that strip these rights from farmers, ranchers, and all private citizens.
- We support the elimination of federally mandated education standards and testing practices, such as “No Child Left Behind”, “Common Core” standards, etc. We support, as much as possible, local control of education curricula.
- We believe in the right of parents to choose the best school for their children, and therefore we support full and complete open enrollment based solely upon the choice of the parent and acceptance of their desired school; any per-student public funding will follow the child to the destination school, including home schools.
GOVERNMENT / ECONOMY
- The first sworn duty of every officer of government is to equally protect an individual person’s God-given, unalienable rights to life, liberty, and private property, from creation to natural death.
- Our national sovereignty and borders must be defended.
- Our republican form of representative government must be upheld. Rules and regulations proposed by bureaucracies of the Executive Branch must be approved by the U.S. Congress through legislative action before they have the force of law.
- The sacred oath of all elected officers to support and defend our Constitution must be fulfilled, particularly the President of the United States.
- Be it resolved that eminent domain laws be restricted to utility and transportation projects that provide at least 50% of their resources to customers in Iowa. Also, the use of tax subsidies in eminent domain projects should not be allowed.
- Be it resolved that only amendments that pertain to the subject of a legislative bill be allowed.
- We support maintaining Iowa’s status as a “right to work” state.
- We support the elimination of the convoluted system of Federal “campaign finance laws” in favor of requiring prompt and full disclosure of all donations of any amount to any political organization, including the origin of individual donors.
- We support all governments adopt and use the principles of “Lean Six Sigma” to identify and eliminate waste and redundancy in government, such as promoted by groups like Strong America Now.
- We support requiring the Federal government adopt a zero-based budgeting system, where each agency is required to justify all expenditures.
- We support amending the U.S. Constitution to require adherence to a balanced budget, GDP-based spending caps.
- We support requiring a balanced budget with at least a 5% reduction in the principal of the national debt every year.
- We support requiring that all legislation passed at the Federal level apply equally to the legislators; e.g. use the same health care system, retirement system, etc. as all citizens.
- We support a Federal legislative calendar be no greater than 6 months per calendar year.
- We support eliminating the ability for Congress to vote themselves an increase in salary within each session of Congress. We support requiring Congress to hold a legislative vote on each increase in compensation.
- We support requiring Federal legislation be “clean” and free of added “pet projects” or “earmarks”.
- We support a full and exhaustive external annual audit of the books of the Federal Reserve. The audit results shall be disclosed publicly.
- We support term limits for Federal and State legislators. We support U.S. Senators and U.S. Representatives be term limited to 13 years.
- We believe the Federal Reserve and any Federal Reserve Bank should not be permitted to “invest” in U.S. Treasury Bills, Notes, or Bonds.
- We support eliminating all Government subsidies at the Federal and State levels, including Agriculture, Energy, Commodities, or any other private entity.
- We support removing the vested financial interest of the State of Iowa from any gambling ventures.
- We support requiring legislators to cite the portion of the Iowa Constitution authorizing their authority for any particular bill.
- We oppose pre-emptive wars; we support requiring a Congressional Declaration of War in any conflict.
- We support repealing PPACA (“Obamacare”) in favor of returning greater free market principles to the delivery of medical care services.
- Be it resolved that illegal aliens should not be rewarded with citizenship, education, welfare, or medical services beyond emergency care.
- We support a State Supreme Court nomination process that allows the Governor of Iowa to nominate any Iowa citizen of their choosing; confirmed by the Iowa Senate; periodically retained by popular vote.
- The right of the people to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed.
- We support amending the Iowa Constitution to specifically recognize and protect the natural right of individual citizens to keep and bear arms.
- We support enhancing the right of law-abiding citizens in Iowa to “stand your ground” to protect themselves and their property, similar to 2012 H.R. 953 / H.F. 2215.
- We support enacting reciprocity agreements with other States for concealed-carry weapons permit holders, similar to those found in Utah.
- We are one nation under God; our rights come from God, not men.
- We oppose the use of public revenues for abortion, and call for elimination of all government funding for any organization that advocates for, or supports abortions.
- We support restoration of right to life, from conception to natural death.
- We support the definition of marriage as between one man and one woman.
- Be it resolved that the State of Iowa conform the State Inheritance Tax to federal law.
- We support requiring the State of Iowa to use all fuel tax revenues exclusively for road maintenance and construction projects.
- We support the elimination of the estate or “death” tax at all levels.
- We support eliminating the progressive individual income tax and the current Federal income tax code in favor of a flat income tax or a flat national sales tax, with as few deductions as possible.
- We support eliminating the business income tax.
- We support requiring Federal and State governments have a 2/3 majority vote to raise tax rates, or to levy new taxes.